top of page
  • Writer's pictureUnion Law Group

What is the difference between the 1-601A waiver and the I-601 waiver?

Both types of pardons require evidence to demonstrate the extreme hardship of the qualifying relative. However, the two waivers have important differences that you need to know: On one hand, the I-601A waiver only waives the applicant's illegal presence in the United States. Generally, a person who has an immigration appointment outside the United States, and who has lived without documents in the United States for more than a year, needs to apply for an I-601A waiver before departure.

The wait to know the result of this type of forgiveness is 6 to 8 months, and the cost is $ 715.00.

The I-601 waiver waives further inadmissibilities including, but not limited to, fraud, crimes, or certain illnesses. Generally, this type of forgiveness is not applicable preventively. The delay to hear the result is usually 12 to 16 months and the cost is $ 930.00.

Although this process is long, forgiveness is an avenue to obtain what you are looking for: your legal residence. Please consult an immigration attorney who can guide you.

Regardless of your immigration history, we recommend obtaining legal advice from an immigration attorney. If you want to make an appointment, call our phones:

US: (619) 662-2170 or MX: (664) 622-5442


bottom of page