top of page
  • Writer's pictureUnion Law Group

U Visa versus VAWA

U VISA: Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Immigrant Crimes who are victims of certain crimes and have assisted in the investigation or prosecution of the same may qualify for a visa that can lead to permanent residence.

Any of the following crimes qualify as criminal activities that apply to apply for a U Visa: kidnapping, sexual abuse, blackmail, domestic violence, extortion, false imprisonment, criminal assault, labor fraud, hostage, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, slave, stalking, torture, witness tampering, and other related crimes.

Proof of good moral character is not required for a U Visa applicant, but is required when one wants to apply for residency. If the applicant has a criminal record, he can apply for a pardon for the crimes committed.

The type of harm that a person must have suffered can be physical, mental, or emotional abuse and the perpetrator did not have to have been a legal resident or citizen of the United States.

VAWA: Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and other VAWA Crimes, helps spouses, children or legal residents who have been abused by a family member who is a US Citizen. The applicant for VAWA can obtain his permanent residence, and while waiting for the residence he would obtain his work authorization and access to public benefits.

VAWA provides survivors of domestic violence with tools to be in a safe place, independent of their parents or spouse. The VAWA applicant must demonstrate extreme cruelty or violence. An immigrant must have been beaten or subjected to extreme cruelty by his or her spouse, ex-spouse, parents, or stepparents who are United States citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States.

Proof of good moral character is required and criminal records are also investigated by immigration. If you or someone you know has suffered a crime, including domestic violence, you may be eligible for a U Visa or VAWA depending on the circumstances.

If you want to make an appointment, call our phones:

US: (619) 662-2170 or MX: (664) 622-5442


bottom of page