top of page
  • Writer's pictureUnion Law Group

Transferring Managers and Executive from your Foreign Company to the United States

The L-1A nonimmigrant visa allows for transfers of executives or managers from a foreign based company to one of its affiliated US offices in the United States. It also allows for foreign companies that do not have an affiliated U.S. based office to send an executive or manager to the United States with the purpose of establishing an affiliated U.S. office.

Initial Qualifications

To qualify for the L-1A visa the US office must have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company and is currently or will be doing business in the US and in one other country. The employee must also have been working for the foreign company abroad for at least one year in the three years before filing the application and be entering to work as a manager or executive for the same employer. The L-1A visa is a nonimmigrant visa and therefore it is defined as temporary.

New Office

If a foreign company is looking to send an executive or manager to the United States to establish a new affiliate office, they must show that there is a physical location for the office and that the US office will support the employees’ position within one year of opening.

Family and Length of Stay

Length of stay depends on the type of L-1A visa that is granted. To establish a new office, the L-1A is granted for a year, while other L-1A visa grants are for 3 years. For all L-1A types, requested extensions are for up to two years per extension and a maximum of 7 years total. Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 can accompany the employee and seek admission under L-2 status.

Whether you are considering an L-1A or another type of corporate visa, we at Union Law Group are here to help. Please reach out to us at 619-662-2170, email us at, or send us a message on our social media.


bottom of page